Nepali Name: टेमु (Temu)
1. If properly trained, this is a bird that could make mountaineering legends and that too without supplemental oxygen. Has been reported from camps as high as 8,000m in Everest.
Nepali Name: हाडफोर (Haadfor)
1. Bird with the longest wingspan in Nepal with some upto 9ft. It is a quite an experience to have this bird fly up close, its like a glider tearing through the air.
2. The word “Lammergeier” means Lamb-Eagle and incorrectly ascribes the Golden Eagle’s property of livestock depredation to this rather docile bird.
3. Its Nepali Name Haadfor however rightly describes its preference for bone fragments which it acquires by dropping large bones from great heights.
4. Personally, I find the Lammergeier one of the most magnificent of the birds.